New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1578

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Poll question
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lugal_gg
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have to admit, what the hell does "DYO" mean? Also, when is the next tourney, April or May? Thanks in advance.

Ultraist
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

DYO = Design your own

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Around Tax time and Halloween for the mailers. Last year I believe March 9th was the cutoff date!!!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
gameogre
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Now I knew those two, but this might be a good place to ask some questions I´ve had about tourney prizes.

Since I´m encouraged to vote for favorite prizes, no doubt it would be useful to understand the details.

87 point - This is a warrior that starts with 87 vice 84 points I take it. This is widely disparaged although on the surface it sounds like a decent thing to win. Like DYO, it doesn´t help anything you have already and probably can´t be expected to be as good as a DYO. Does it come with 73 points in place and you add the normal 14? I can see why this isn´t very popular, I guess. Probably 50% chance of wit so low that no one wants to run this hard won "prize".

5 stat train - Very popular, useful to nearly any warrior. Can you arrange the five (I assume automatic success) trains anyway you like? ie 2 will, 3 wit I gather this is one the ADM and up managers covet since they can use it for tourney blowouts after learns are maxed or even a five stat boost in Primus/Gateway after all the easy trains are done. (before the limit, Cosmic Hammer had three of these I believe)

10 skill learns - Medium popularity. Again do you pick the skills? Seems like any unmaxed warrior would benefit, powerful tourney boost potential. Some unobvious drawback?

DYO - obvious but not terribly popular, why so little interest in this? Tend to get killed in their second fight?

I think that´s all there was where the mechanism or relative popularity seemed in question.

LHI
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

>87 point - This is a warrior that starts with 87 vice 84 points I take it. This is >widely disparaged although on the surface it sounds like a decent thing to >win. Like DYO, it doesn´t help anything you have already and probably can´t >be expected to be as good as a DYO. Does it come with 73 points in place >and you add the normal 14? I can see why this isn´t very popular, I guess. >Probably 50% chance of wit so low that no one wants to run this hard >won "prize".

You take any new set of numbers (replacement from DA or on a new team set up) and you get to add 17 points instead of 14.

>5 stat train - Very popular, useful to nearly any warrior. Can you arrange >the five (I assume automatic success) trains anyway you like? ie 2 will, 3 >wit I gather this is one the ADM and up managers covet since they can use >it for tourney blowouts after learns are maxed or even a five stat boost in >Primus/Gateway after all the easy trains are done. (before the limit, >Cosmic Hammer had three of these I believe)

You hit the good uses on the head. Especially the ADM bust out use since you can only use 1 full set of potions on a warrior now.

>10 skill learns - Medium popularity. Again do you pick the skills? Seems like >any unmaxed warrior would benefit, powerful tourney boost potential. >Some unobvious drawback?

Its more powerful in the champs than it used to be. Very powerful in the rookies aas well.

>DYO - obvious but not terribly popular, why so little interest in this? Tend to >get killed in their second fight?

Depends on what you make I guess. I like DYO for the fun factor.

Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I personally like the Idea of DYO and 87 point.. though I have very limited experience in ADM thus far with all of 2 warriors there.

Even if either of them would get killed, you still have the dead tourneys. I have plenty to put in there as well..

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Personally, I went with the DYO, as I felt a DYO is far superior to an 87 pointer (unless you have a legitimate godling rollup sent to you even without the extra 3 points). The skill learns are ok, but I don´t have a whole lot of use for the stat raises. My ADM guys are all ADM or Eligible, and none are in any kind of position to benifit properly from 5 stat raises. (Yes, I can give my 5 con-raise lunger 5 more raises, but it´s not like the boost CH got, and it would merely move him from normal to "can take a lot of punishment". Not to mention bumping him from ADM to Eligible.)

Personally, I was rather hoping a max-bonus prize would be on the list.

LHI
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I wouldn´t expect to see one of those for quite some time.

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, I was afraid that might be the case. That´s the prize I´d really like, and I actually have a guy that I feel has some chance in one of the classes. Meaning, of course, that they´ll offer the stat-raise prize (the one I can use the least).

Mannequin
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can attest to the limited effectiveness of the 87 point prize. Years ago, Mirage (Donatello´s mgr), gave me just such a prize. I used it on a triplett PL AND used a favorites prize (the first time such a prize was offered) on him. You would never guess this guy has two prizes on him. He is still in basic, at 13-13-2. I never understood why he performed so poorly with known favorites, even though he was in tough arena. Anyway, I retired and passed him on to the Mun. He continues to have problems with him so he runs him a couple of times until I came out of retirement. Come to find out, he is negatively bonused in FOUR skill areas, and his favorite learn was wrong. RSI couldn´t figure out how it could have happened, so they offered to re-roll him for me (many, many thanks to Lee!). He gained 14 skills on the re-roll, and is no longer negatively bonused in any of the skill areas. I haven´t run him since the re-roll, as I will be running him in the Champs. Anyway, the point of all this is that the 87 point prize has to be used on that almost, but not quite, godling roll-up, OR a rock-solid roll-up that could use a little more help in the physicals area.

"You're a madman!"
"Aye, I've come to the right place then."
gameogre
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK, thanks to all for the information. I think I have a grip now...

gameogre
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 11:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Until they changed the question.

Max bonus vice +5 bonus? What do these do exactly? Do you pick the skill to be bonused?

Stat train, is this the 5 stat prize mentioned last time?

I believe the rest were discussed before or plenty obvious. Thanks.
Ichabod
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

gameogre wrote:
Until they changed the question.

Max bonus vice +5 bonus? What do these do exactly? Do you pick the skill to be bonused?

Stat train, is this the 5 stat prize mentioned last time?

I believe the rest were discussed before or plenty obvious. Thanks.

With a max bonus potion, you select a warrior and a skill, and he is automatically set to whatever the max bonus in that area possible for his style. (This means you don't want to use it on a waste's defense....) I believe that you get 2 max bonus potions per TC.

The +5 bonus is 5 individual points you can add to any warrior or combination of warriors as you see fit. I don't know if you're limited to areas in which a warrior can be bonused or not. Personally, I think would would be neat to take an otherwise outstanding waste and make him +4 defense....

Stat train is just what you think it is.

Kat
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Has RSI ever actually listened to player input for tourney prizes? Who actually make the decision?

It seems if players had input to prizes, they might have a little input into game changes.
Ichabod
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Both of the last two tournament prizes were determined by polls on DM.com.

Lee/Green Eyes makes the final decision.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic