New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1577

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Turn Fees/Multi-teams (Used to be: 2 teams 1 arena)
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Web Input is on the list of things to be added--there used to be a link to it on this site actually. I think it's just a matter of having them sit down to write it.
(The web side is probably easier to write than the back end side)
Adie
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If web input saves them time, they'll have both time AND money. So I guess then all that is needed is to either hire a full time programmer, or learn the programming themselves.

Then if the input is easy, you can focus on getting us to run more warriors on fewer teams with some kind of base fee removal or something, so they still milk us for just as much money but give us more bang for our buck!

It sounds all too easy. Must not be.

illkidk
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Adie wrote:
It sounds all too easy. Must not be.

It is. First you must have interest in improving your product.

Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd like to see the turn-fee waived if a team runs the full five warriors. I'd like to see more full teams in basic.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Damion wrote:
I'd like to see the turn-fee waived if a team runs the full five warriors. I'd like to see more full teams in basic.

Personally, all of us would like to play for free - or any other rendition of that. But all the suggestions and ideas we make, have to have some advantage or additional cash generation for RSI the company. Waiving fees does not seem like it will do that - or at least overcome the already charged fee.

From RSI's viewpoint, maybe charge an additional fee if 5 warriors are not run? Nah.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
_Carnage_
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Web input would be neat, but I suspect that the actual Duel2 program is still coded in Pascal, so I think that could cause some problems. I'm not sure if Pascal will interface with any databases that can recieve input from a new web front end. I assume they havn't ported to C or Java, as they still run a Novell 2.x server or something for printing. The web site itself could be an easy .asp or similar form porting to a file array or database, but I think they still would have the question of security. They would have to lock it down real good to keep godlings from finding an early ending in the DA. Wink

Andy
TripwireDuel
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just happened across this thread so excuse me if I have already gone over some of what has been said.

I think removing the base turn fees is an excellent idea, one that will promote growth in game and one that will INCREASE RSI's overall income.

First it will promote growth for the simple fact that more managers will start running those 1 and 2 man teams in more arenas. This will add income to RSI.

Second, alot of managers have many teams with 1 or 2 good/semi-good warriors on them. I hold back from running these warriors because of the increased fees for simply running 1 as opposed to running 5. I am more than willing to run 5 with the 3.25 fee, but not 1 or 2 or even 3 sometimes.

This will increase income for RSI in other ways too. With managers running more warriors they will also be running more in tournaments which once again will increase RSI's income. I know most managers like myself have a DM budget, if you take away the turn fees the number of warriors will increase dramatically, thus more warriors to run in tourneys, contests etc.. I can't see how it could possibly be a losing proposition for RSI.

Perhaps a trial basis?

Another possibility would be to reduce the fees themselves depending upon how many warriors are running? Maybe 0.65 for 1 warrior, 1.30 for 2, 1.95 for 3, 2.60 for 4 and the full 3.25 for 5.

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good ideas. Honestly, why not drop the turn fees completely and up the warrior fees; considering what you've laid out. I still believe in shrinking down to a handful of arenas and go unlimited teams with one turn charge (a la ADM). Either way RSI doesn't seem interested in shifting fees or making it cheaper in hopes of attracting new players. If this game were cheaper I could hook so many people.

There are a lot of ways they could remap the fees because in the end it doesn't matter how they charge the current base of players. Most of us operate with a "budget" mentality.

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Illkid, I do have to disagree with one thing. This game IS cheap. If you are an arena only manager and run two full teams you are looking at $41 a month. That is NOT bad for entertainment. SERIOUS managers have it a tad harder as far as cash goes, but for someone who just wants to run some basic warriors, a month's worth of DuelII is cheaper than a night at a decent bar.

Carnage
illkidk
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

_Carnage_ wrote:
Illkid, I do have to disagree with one thing. This game IS cheap. If you are an arena only manager and run two full teams you are looking at $41 a month. That is NOT bad for entertainment.

Umm, yeah, that's a large chunk of an electric, cable, broadband, hooker, crack, or general weekend of drunk on sixth bill! You're kidding right?

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with Carnage, for what its worth.

In addition, I think it is unrealistic to expect RSI to lower the fees for their game.

Consider this:

$1 in 1990 had the buying power of $1.50 today according to the US Department of Labor.
The price of postage has risen from 29c to 37c since 1990.
As far as I know, we are still paying the same amount for this game as we were 15 or so years ago.

I say kudos to RSI for keeping costs the same.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

One Armed Bandit wrote:
I agree with Carnage, for what its worth.

In addition, I think it is unrealistic to expect RSI to lower the fees for their game.

Consider this:

$1 in 1990 had the buying power of $1.50 today according to the US Department of Labor.
The price of postage has risen from 29c to 37c since 1990.
As far as I know, we are still paying the same amount for this game as we were 15 or so years ago.

I say kudos to RSI for keeping costs the same.

We agree, the cost leaves this game as a high value.

We tend to disagree with Tripwire, who believes that eliminating the "base" fee will cause more warriors to run. We think it will cause "some" managers to run those onsey-twosey godlings a little more, but it will also cause some arena teams now running full and using the DA to be run onsey-twosey. We would expect to see "no change" at best (and less revenue to RSI) and probably a net loss in warriors run - with less revenue to RSI. Fee changes could overcome that, but that is risky and we do not see that as a likely factor.

We, too, agree, kudos to rSI for keeping the pruice down.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
LocoInArizona
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We should all be glad they haven't put on a 'fuel surcharge' for the amount of gas it takes to get from the RSI basement to the Tempe PO that they operate out of.

Seriously, we should all be thankful RSI hasn't raised their rates like so many other things in the real world. In the age of higher salaries, insurance, and costs of operation RSI has done well, and should be recognized for such. You might want to figure it the 'turn fee' takes care of the computer operator opening our mail, putting our strategies in, and printing the small forest of paper out each day. Now I can see why some might want lower fees and higher warrior charges to draw more friends in; don't you think if 10.75 a month for slow arenas and 21.50 a month for regular arenas is too much for your friends, that lowering each turn's total fees by 75 cents or $1.50 is really going to help bring them to DM2? I think not.

After all, when you consider removing the turn fee, then raising the price per warrior all you are doing is splitting hairs for just the sake of change? I say RSI should just keep everything the way it is.

Sandy, please disregard the 'fuel surcharge' idea... that might be much for the managers to take in this game.

Member of Amicitia Primoris

Do you serve a purpose, or purposely serve?
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

LocoInArizona wrote:
We should all be glad they haven't put on a 'fuel surcharge' for the amount of gas it takes to get from the RSI basement to the Tempe PO that they operate out of.

Seriously, we should all be thankful RSI hasn't raised their rates like so many other things in the real world. In the age of higher salaries, insurance, and costs of operation RSI has done well, and should be recognized for such. You might want to figure it the 'turn fee' takes care of the computer operator opening our mail, putting our strategies in, and printing the small forest of paper out each day. Now I can see why some might want lower fees and higher warrior charges to draw more friends in; don't you think if 10.75 a month for slow arenas and 21.50 a month for regular arenas is too much for your friends, that lowering each turn's total fees by 75 cents or $1.50 is really going to help bring them to DM2? I think not.

After all, when you consider removing the turn fee, then raising the price per warrior all you are doing is splitting hairs for just the sake of change? I say RSI should just keep everything the way it is.

Sandy, please disregard the 'fuel surcharge' idea... that might be much for the managers to take in this game.

Pretty nicely stated, we think.
Sandy, don't consider implementing that surcharge, except, of course, to Loco who dared to put it in writing. Wink

illkidk
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

LocoInArizona wrote:
don't you think if 10.75 a month for slow arenas and 21.50 a month for regular arenas is too much for your friends, that lowering each turn's total fees by 75 cents or $1.50 is really going to help bring them to DM2? I think not.

Umm, yeah, you're definitely not in advertising or marketing are you? Rolling Eyes

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic